Will Carmelo finally get traded? It sounds like it could happen sooner rather than later. We break down that and more in this week’s NBA Storylines.
All-Star reserves announced
On Thursday, the league announced the reserves for the 2017 All-Star Game. Here’s who the coaches voted in:
East Reserves: Paul George, Kevin Love, Kyle Lowry, Paul Millsap, Isaiah Thomas, Kemba Walker, and John Wall
West Reserves: DeMarcus Cousins, Draymond Green, Marc Gasol, Gordon Hayward, DeAndre Jordan, Klay Thompson, and Russell Westbrook
With the lineups fully set, naturally it’s time to look at some potential snubs. This year’s biggest snubs were arguably Rudy Gobert and Joel Embiid. In Embiid’s case it’s rare that a rookie makes the All-Star game, especially on a minutes restriction. And for Gobert, it seemed like only one of Hayward/Gobert would get in. This year it was Hayward.
Sixers and Heat streaking
Believe it or not, Dion Waiters actually received the Eastern Conference Player of the Week award. The Heat have surprisingly won their last seven games, including major wins over the Rockets and Warriors. In that span, Waiters scored 33 points in back to back games. He also hit two incredible game-clinching shots against the Warriors and Nets. The Heat will still be in the lottery this season, but their recent hot streak is quite a shocker.
The Sixers have won six of their last 10 games, and have a big opportunity to get another win in Sacramento tonight. They are 9–5 this month and the only teams who have more wins than them in January are the Warriors, Hawks, and Wizards. If they beat the Kings tonight, it would be the first time since 2012 that Philly has won 10 games in a calendar month. For a team who’s experienced nothing but losing the past few years, this would be quite an accomplishment.
- The Knicks reportedly sent a scout to the Celtics-Bucks game to look at potential players in a Melo to Boston trade. The Celtics have previously told the Knicks they aren’t interested in acquiring Melo, but apparently they are one of the few teams Melo would be willing to waive his no-trade clause for.
- The Knicks have also spoken with the Clippers regarding a Melo trade, and are searching for a third team to help complete a deal.
- The Sixers reportedly rejected a trade offer from the Cavs who were hoping to acquire point guard TJ McConnell.
- The Celtics have reportedly discussed a deal with the Magic for Nikola Vucevic.
- The Magic are reportedly increasing their efforts to move Serge Ibaka before the deadline. Ibaka will be a free agent this summer.