(LAS VEGAS, NV) May 1, 2019 — BIG3 – the professional 3-on-3 basketball league founded by producer, actor, and music legend Ice Cube and entertainment executive Jeff Kwatinetz – took Las Vegas by storm. The league held its Player Combine and Lottery Event earlier this week, with events culminating in the 2019 Draft presented by MGM Resorts International which aired live on CBS Sports Network tonight with 132 professional players vying for 31 open roster spots.
- With the number one pick, the Enemies selected Royce White. The Iowa State standout shined at the Player Combine and will join up with Lamar Odom, Gilbert Arenas, Perry Jones III, Craig Smith, and Frank Robinson. White is an advocate for mental health whose NBA career was impacted by his fear of flying. Tonight his shirt read, “I Flew Here.”
- Former 2010 NBA 1st rounder Larry Sanders was picked by Gary Payton’s 3-Headed Monsters. Sanders is known for his versatility, shot blocking, and size. After a few seasons in the NBA, he decided to walk away from the game due to anxiety and mood disorders. Sanders was a standout at the Player Combine and will join up with Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, Rashard Lewis, Reggie Evans, Mario Chalmers and Tre Simmons.
- Former 2007 NBA number one overall pick Greg Oden, was selected by the Aliens with the 7th pick in round one of the 2019 BIG3 draft. Oden joins captainsKendrick Perkins, Shannon Brown, Andre Owens, and coach Nate “Tiny” Archibald.
- Adding a new element to the BIG3 this season, international players are now eligible to play in the league. Serbian born, #1 ranked FIBA 3-on-3 player Dusan Bulut was selected in the third round by Ball Hogs captain Brian Scalabrine to play alongside Deshawn Stevenson and Josh Childress who are coached by NBA Hall of Famer Rick Barry. Yakhouba Diawara, the 6th overall pick in the 1st round, joins Tri-State alongside Jermaine O’Neal, Amar’e Stoudemire, Nate Robinson, Jason Richardson, Bonzi Wells and coach Dr. Julius Erving. Carlos Arroyo was selected by Trilogy to join Jason Terry, James White, David Hawkins, Patrick O’Bryant, and Sam Young.
- Franklin Session, Drew League standout, was named a co-captain of the Killer 3’s. He’ll lead the team alongside Stephen Jackson and Metta World Peace. With tonight’s selections, Josh Powell, Donte Greene, and C.J. Watson will round out the squad coached by New York legend Charles Oakley.
- New marquee former NBA players drafted into the BIG3 include C.J. Watson, Jason Richardson, Brandon Rush, and Mario Chalmers.
Complete Draft Results:
1: Enemies – Royce White
2: Triplets – Chris Johnson
3: 3 Headed Monsters – Larry Sanders
4: Killer 3’s – Josh Powell
5: Ball Hogs – Will McDonald
6: Tri-State – Yakhouba Diawara
7: Aliens – Greg Oden
8: Trilogy – Patrick O’Bryant
9: Bivouac – Shawn Williams
10: Ghost Ballers – Jamario Moon
1: Bivouac – C.J. Leslie
2: Killer 3’s – Donte Greene
3: 3 Headed Monsters – Tre Simmons
4: Tri-State – Jason Richardson
5: Triplets – Alan Anderson
6: Trilogy – Sam Young
7: Ghost Ballers – Alex Scales
8: Aliens – Brandon Rush
9: Ball Hogs – Jermaine Taylor
10: Enemies – Craig Smith
1: Triplets – Sergio Gipson
2: 3 Headed Monsters – Mario Chalmers
3: Aliens – Robert Vaden
4: Ball Hogs – Dusan Bulut
5: Killer 3’s – C.J. Watson
6: 3’s Company – Dijon Thompson
7: Trilogy – Carlos Arroyo
8: Bivouac – Dion Glover
9: Ghost Ballers – Mike Taylor
10: Tri-State – Bonzi Wells
11: Enemies – Frank Robinson
During the upcoming 11-week BIG3 season, games will air live on CBS Television Network and CBS Sports Network on both Saturday and Sunday, with a champion crowned live on CBS on Sunday, Sept. 1 (3:00 PM, ET). CBS Television Network will broadcast more than 20 hours throughout the season, with CBS Sports Network set to televise more than 25 hours of additional live game coverage.
BIG3’s successful first two seasons in 2017 and 2018 established it as the world’s premier professional 3-on-3 league. In 2018, average arena attendance exceeded 14,000, up from 11,000 the year prior. This year will see BIG3 visiting 18 cities – up from 10 each of the two previous years. Three games will be played at each location, two days per weekend (for a total of six games). New teams include Aliens, Bivouac, Enemies, and Triplets. BIG3 has also signed major sponsorship agreements with global brands adidas and Toyota which will roll out activations throughout the league’s 2019 season.
During the offseason, BIG3 added new top tier players to the league including Jason Terry, Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Kendrick Perkins, Shannon Brown, Gilbert Arenas, Al Jefferson, Lamar Odom, Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Carlos Arroyo, Dusan Bulut and more.
Star players returning this year include Amar’e Stoudemire, Drew Gooden, Nate Robinson, Stephen Jackson, Carlos Boozer, Glen ‘Big Baby’ Davis, Chris ‘Birdman’ Andersen, Rashard Lewis, Metta World Peace, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, Corey Maggette, Cuttino Mobley, Jermaine O’Neal, Brian Scalabrine and many more.
Teams will be coached by some of the top legends in the game, including Julius ‘Dr. J’ Erving, Gary Payton, Nancy Lieberman, Rick Barry, Lisa Leslie, and George ‘The Iceman’ Gervin.
In addition to Ice Cube and Kwatinetz, the league will continue to be guided byChairman Amy Trask and Commissioner Clyde Drexler.